Job opportunity: Laboratory Assistant
Post date: August 20, 2020
Activities & Responsibilities:
- Conduct chemical analysis by mass spectroscopy, NMR and HPLC.
- Prepare solutions and reagents for experiments.
- Maintain an organized chemical inventory and order, receive and stock supplies as needed.
- Perform various housekeeping and/or maintenance tasks to keep laboratory and equipment in clean and operable condition (glassware, rotary evaporator, tubing, pumps, balance).
- Hazardous waste management and hazard labeling
- Occasionally assist in conduct of rodent research studies
- Follow safety protocols and SOPs.
- Maintain accurate laboratory records.
Experience & Required Qualifications:
- Education: A bachelor’s degree or a minimum of three years of college with an emphasis on science courses.
- Experience: Minimum of 1-year experience working in a laboratory in a similar capacity
- Knowledge of chemistry is preferred
- Able to follow safety policies and standards outlined in the Safety Manual
- Willingness to conduct research with animals, although prior experience is not necessary
- Excellent interpersonal skills and attention to detail
- Excellent organizational skills
- Excellent verbal and written English skills
- Ability to work within a team environment
- Motivated to work independently with minimum supervision
- Ability to keep sensitive information confidential
- Ability to lift up to 50 pounds
Job Type: Per diem
Shift: Monday-Friday, 4-6 hours per day
Hours of work per week: Approximately 20-25 hours per week; when possible, ~5 hrs per week may be done from home with access to a computer and the internet.
Salary: $18-$25 per hour depending on education and prior experience.