Appia Bio is a new startup with the mission to bring innovative cell therapies to more patients. Our novel platform can create a broad array of allogeneic NKT and T cell types, and can be further engineered to address challenges specific to tumor microenvironments. Our goal is to discover and develop allogeneic cell therapies across a broad array of cancer indications with a scalability that increases access for patients.
Our research-stage programs involve the lineage determination of hematopoietic stem cells into NKT and T cell subtypes via lentiviral programming. The scientific foundation of Appia Bio is underpinned by collaborative research led by Lili Yang (UCLA), David Baltimore (Caltech), Pin Wang (USC), and Owen Witte (UCLA). The founding management team brings broad experience in cell therapy development and company creation. We are located in the UCLA incubator CNSI Magnify.
Job opportunity: Lab Manager
Post date: April 22, 2021
Appia Bio is seeking an experienced and talented Laboratory Manager ready to take on the challenge and opportunities of building and supporting a research laboratory on the frontiers of therapeutic R&D. The research programs at Appia are focused at the intersection of immunology, cell engineering, protein engineering, and cancer biology. The ideal candidate will manage laboratory operations as well as provide basic support of Appia research projects.
- Ordering and maintaining inventory of supplies and reagents
- Organization and maintenance of laboratory workspace/equipment and service contracts
- Laboratory safety, including as lab safety officer, training new lab members, ensuring compliance
- Perform laboratory tasks to support research projects. These may include cell culture, lentivirus production, routine molecular biology, flow cytometry, and preparation of media and other reagents.
- Contribute to a Biology research group with a culture of scientific excellence, teamwork, and innovation.
Experience and qualifications
The successful candidate will be a highly motivated self-starter with a strong work ethic, good communication skills, and focus. They will have a record of success and strong achievement in academia and/or the biotechnology industry.
- BS / BA degree (MS preferred) in molecular or cellular biology
- Candidates will have a minimum of 5 years of laboratory management experience
- Exceptional and rapid organizational and communication skills
- Detail-oriented and diligent to completion of tasks and projects
- Ideal candidate will have lab experience in immunology, molecular and cellular biology techniques
Location: UCLA Campus, Los Angeles, CA
Reporting Relationship: Reports to Director of Biology, Chief Medical Officer in interim