Staff Scientist – Westwood Bioscience, Inc.
Applications are invited from suitably qualified candidates for the position of Senior Scientist at Westwood Bioscience located in the Magnify biotech incubator on the ULCA campus.
Westwood Bioscience is a drug delivery company focused on the development of next generation encapsulated drug delivery nanoparticles based on lipid coated mesoporous silica particles, called Silicasomes™. With no demonstrable toxicity in animal studies and significantly improved drug loading capacity, drug retention, stability and target site drug delivery as compared to traditional liposomal delivery technologies, Silicasomes provides the technology for Westwood to become a leader in drug delivery. We are currently pursuing oncology opportunities with a lead product intended to target pancreatic, colon cancers and lung cancers.
Westwood is currently scaling up manufacturing in support of pre-clinical studies for its lead product and anticipates entering clinical studies in the near future.
We are currently scaling up our in-house capabilities in process development and manufacturing. This is an opportunity to join the collaborative environment in an innovative company that aims to make a real impact in the field of nanocarrier drug delivery.
We are seeking an experienced, bright, enthusiastic and motivated process development scientist with expertise in the field of nanotherapeutics to join our team and support the development of the Silicasome platform. As a Senior Scientist you will help drive the technology transfer, validation and clinical production of our first Silicasome product. This individual will work closely with our founding scientists at UCLA and our management team to establish and optimize the manufacturing process at pilot scale within the company’s facility at the UCLA biotech incubator, train new production and process development staff and help coordinate scale-up production at our contract manufacturing site.
- Leading production activities at the Westwood facility for the manufacture of our Silicasome products, facilitate technology transfer to third party CMOs, lead process optimization and scale-up, equipment validation and qualification, product characterization, perform stability studies and materials management.
- Support product development activity within the company and through collaborating scientists at UCLA.
- Support continued product development and in-process improvements to streamline process operations and optimise manufacturing methods.
- Assist in the preparation and review of GMP documentation including SOPs, batch records, as well as to support the management of Quality Management System for documenting or implementing change controls, process deviations, and risk assessments to ensure the highest levels of controls and traceability.
- Assist in the recruiting and training of new scientific and technical staff for process development, analytical development and GLP manufacturing.
- Be accountable to the Chief Science Office for all operations.
- A minimum of 3 years’ post graduate experience in the field of nanotherapeutics, with expertise on nanocarrier synthesis, characterization, and the assessment of the pharmacokinetics and drug delivery to disease sites.
- Relevant biotechnology or biopharmaceutical experience.
- Experience in GLP or GMP manufacturing operations or process development.
- Experience in analytical methodologies for nanocarriers.
- Understanding of GMP regulations.
- Excellent planning, organisational and time management skills.
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills.
- Ph.D. in a relevant field, with evidence of being able to interface physicochemical sciences with biology in the field of nanotherapeutics.
- Successful candidates will also possess excellent communication skills and be highly organised with demonstrated leadership skills and a desire to solve challenging scientific questions whilst working in a dynamic, fast paced team environment.
Start date: May 1, 2022
This is a permanent position, based in Los Angeles, CA, with a competitive salary and benefits package commensurate with experience.
Further information about Westwood Bioscience, Inc. is available at www.westwoodbioscience.com
Applications including a cover letter, CV, and the contact details of three referees should be sent to: firstname.lastname@example.org
Westwood Bioscience, Inc. is an equal opportunities employer.